Constellation Theatre Company’s mission is to spark the curiosity and imagination of the people of Greater Washington, DC by bringing stories to life from all over the world. We open our creative process to the community and encourage a dynamic exchange of ideas. Visual spectacle, music and movement unite with an exuberant acting ensemble to create an exhilarating entertainment experience.
We tell big stories in an intimate space and draw from the genres of fantasy, farce and epic adventure to transport DC audiences to imaginative worlds where the action is larger than life.
• Connect the audience with the communal power of live theatre, to the ancients, to other parts of the world, to fantasy, myth and dreams.
• Invite them to escape their everyday lives so they can leave the theatre and experience their own world with a fresh perspective.
• Inspire conversation and curiosity about the art within a community of patrons and artists bonded by a common experience.
• Foster long-term, positive, creative relationships with artists. Constellation Theatre aspires to gain recognition and expand our audiences.
We want to be identified as an anchor cultural institution in the 14th St. / U St. Corridor.
Core Values Statement
• Produce excellent entertainment.
• Survive and thrive to enable great and provocative creativity.
• Treat all participants with dignity, kindness, and respect.
• Have fun!
In 2008 Constellation became a Resident Company at Source securing us a home in a vibrant neighborhood. In 2009 the Helen Hayes Awards honored us with the John Aniello Award for Outstanding Emerging Theatre Company and gave us greater visibility within the Greater Washington DC community. Master Percussionist Tom Teasley has gone on to win the 2010 & 2011 Helen Hayes Awards for Outstanding Sound Design for his collaboration on Crazyface and The Ramayana. Our audience grew exponentially in 2010 and 2011; we added dozens of performances to our calendar and almost half of our shows were sold-out. We have been blessed with critical acclaim and enjoyed public enthusiasm from well over 8,000 patrons who are diverse in age, ethnicity and background. In May of 2012 we produced Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses and performed the production 8 shows per week.
Constellation produces three productions a year as well as 10 free evenings of related programming. For instance, during the run of The Green Bird we did a staged reading of an original play by a DC playwright about Carlo Gozzi in addition to hosting a commedia dell’arte performance by Faction of Fools. We have a membership program that gives the audience an inside look at our creative process. During each show we host a preview party, an open technical rehearsal and a cocktail party that provides an opportunity for our patrons and artists to engage in discussion. Our core group of twenty-nine Constellation Associate Artists (CAAs) is deeply invested in the development of the company. They provide many volunteer hours to publicize the show, plan the next season and organize our annual fund raiser, the Constellation Celebration.
A Dream Play
The Arabian Nights
The Good Woman of Setzuan
The Marriage of Figaro
A Flea in Her Ear
Women Beware Women
On The Razzle
The Green Bird
The Ramayana (remount)
Arms and the Man
The Love of the Nightingale